Crispy and perfectly delicious churros with traditional cinnamon sugar and Spanish hot chocolate sauce. Learn how to bake homemade churros.
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- 8 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 eggs
- Oil for frying
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- Place water, butter, 3 tablespoons sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Then remove from heat and add flour. Beat with a wooden spoon until dough forms a ball and releases from side of pan. Vigorously beat in eggs, one at a time and beat after each addition until mixture is smooth.
- Spoon dough into a pastry bag or a cookie maker with a star tip. Pipe out 3”x1” strips onto waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Pour oil into a 10” skillet to about ¾” thickness. Heat oil to 375 degrees F. Transfer dough strips into hot oil with a large spatula. Fry 5 to 6 churros at a time until deep golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning once. Remove churros with a slotted metal spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Combine remaining 5 tablespoons sugar with the cinnamon. Place in a paper bag. Add warm churros a couple at a time and gently shake to coat. Place on a serving platter, and repeat for all churros. Serve with Spanish hot chocolate. This makes a delicious breakfast, dessert or midday snack. Enjoy!