Mexican open-faced sandwiches
Open-face Mexican Sandwiches called Mollete, a Mexican equivalent to the American grilled cheese sandwiches.
- 1 pound (453 grams) lean ground beef
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces or 425 grams) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 jar (8 ounces or 227 grams) processed cheese with jalapenos
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Cook the ground beef until browned. Drain off any fat. Add the jalapeno and half of the tomato sauce. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook about five minutes. Add the oregano and garlic powder and cook another two minutes.
- Slice the bread in half horizontally. Spread the cheese over the cut side of both halves. Divide the meat mixture between the two halves. Top with the mushrooms and onion.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (163 °C) for about 15 minutes. Top with the mozzarella cheese and continue to bake another five minutes. Serve.
Serve with a tomato and avocado salad and iced tea.