French Onion Soup
Soupe à l’oignon.
- 500 g onions
- 50 g butter or margarine
- 750 ml meat stock
- 125 ml white wine
- freshly ground white pepper
- 2 slices white bread
- 30 g butter
- 50 g Parmesan cheese
- Peel the onions, cut them in half and slice them finely.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onions. Add the meat stock and bring to the boil.
- After a while add the white wine and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the white bread into cubes and fry in 30 g butter until golden brown. Pour the onion soup into 6 cups and garnish with the bread cubes.
- Grate the Parmesan cheese medium-fine with a grater or a food processor and sprinkle over the soup.
- Put the soup bowls under the grill until the cheese has melted and serve immediately.