Classic Texas Chili
Here’s our version of old fashioned Texas chili.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons good quality red chili powder
- 8 ounces canned Roma tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup beef stock
- 8 ounces Negro Modello or other dark ale
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Garnishes (use any, all, or none):
- chopped cilantro
- chopped onion or scallions
- grated Cheddar cheese
- Fritos corn chips
- sour cream
- Tabasco hot sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot. Add garlic and onions and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, until starting to become translucent.
- Add the ground beef and continue to cook for 7-8 minutes, until beef is thoroughly browned. Season with salt, pepper and chili powder, stir well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, beer, vinegar and cumin, and stir well, breaking up tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn down heat to low and cook, covered, for 45-60 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.