This is a wonderful Christmas Ale recipe for the home brewer.
- 4 lbs. your favorite light malt extract
- 4 lbs. your favorite amber malt extract
- ½ lb. 40L crystal malt
- 2.0 oz. black patent malt
- 2.0 oz. fresh ginger root
- 4 tsp fresh orange peel
- 1 lb. clover honey
- 6 inch cinnamon stick
- 1.0 oz. Cascade hops 5.5% (60 min)
- 0.5 oz. Cascade hops 5.5% (10 min)
- 1 pkg. liquid ale yeast
Yield: 5 Gallons
- Place the grains in a pot with about 1/2 gallon of cold water. Raise to about 170 degrees Fahrenheit (77° C) and let rest for about 20 minutes before straining the liquid into the brewpot. Add extracts and honey and lots of water and raise to a boil.
- Add the first hops and boil for one hour. At about 12-15 minutes before the end of the hour add the ginger root, orange peel, and cinnamon stick. At ten minutes before end of boil add the remaining hops.
- Strain and chill into fermenter and pitch yeast. Primary ferment for 5-8 days, and secondary for two to three weeks.
- Bottle with corn sugar or malt. Sample a bottle about once a week for the first month or two while it matures – see how your beer changes with time, but save a few for your friends!