Almond Jelly (Chinese Almond Tofu)
This is a quick and easy recipe of a popular Asian dessert. Chinese almond jelly is a jelly made out of finely ground almonds with milk, sweetened water and gelatine (or agar agar). When set, the jelly is cut into ½-inch cubes or diamond shapes, and served in syrup with fruit salad. The significant contribution here is the introduction of a nutty flavour to sweetened fruit dishes.
Walnuts, chestnuts or even peanuts can also be prepared in this manner. When the powdered nuts have been jellied and cut into cubes and diamonds, they can be served with different combinations of fruits to give fruit salads a new dimension in texture and flavour. Try this Chinese Almond Tofu recipe!
- ½ lb almond seeds,
- 2 cups water,
- 4 tablespoons sugar,
- 1 cup evaporated milk (or unsweetened soymilk),
- 1-1½ envelopes gelatine (dissolve in ½ cup water),
- ½ teaspoon almond extract,
- mandarins, oranges, raspberries for fruit salad
Preparation time: 7-8 minutes,
cooking time: 4 minutes,
setting: 2 hours.
- Grind and blend almonds into a smooth paste in a mixer, in 2 lots (each lot with 1 cup of water). Filter through a double cheese-cloth into a bowl. Add sugar; stir to dissolve.
- Heat evaporated milk in a saucepan. Add almond mixture and stir in the dissolved gelatine. Add almond extract. Stir slowly until ingredients are well blended.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow dish to cool. When cool place in a refrigerator to set. When the jelly is well set, cut it into ½-inch cubes or diamond shapes. Served with any combination of fruit cocktail.