How would you like to make a barbecue sauce better than a grocery store. This is good, tangy, hearty, chunky sauce that you can name after yourself it you want.
- 1 cup olive oil
- a pinch of Salt
- A good grind of black pepper
- 1 can of tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 1/2 of a lemon, seeded and sliced thinly (including rind)
- 1 heaping tbsp brown sugar
- 2 heaping tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (or 1¼ for the daring)
- 3 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
Cook time: 1 hour
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree (until smooth).
- Put the mixture in a heavy stainless steel or ceramic coated saucepan. (Do not use aluminum or cast iron.)
- Cook over medium-low heat while stirring every once and a while until the oil has separated from sauce and sauce has become very thick (this takes about 1 hour).
- Dip off the oil (which can be used for some real nice taste in other dishes) and there you have it. This can be stored in a air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. (longer if frozen).